Saturday, May 15, 2010

Shrinky Dinks using my Cricut

I bought the assortment color pack of Shrinky Dinks at Michaels today.  Since it has been more than 20 years of making a Shrinky Dink, I thought I would practice.  My least favorite color of all time is brown, so that is the color I chose to practice on for making a wine charm. 

Using George cartridge I cut the heart charm at 5", and placed in the oven for 2 mins at 325 degrees, it was too big, but I felt I had the hang of it.  I then tried at 4", and the shape melted into each other, and by the time I tried to separate it was too late.  I then tried 3" and that also melted into each other (maybe the shape is too delicate at a small size?).  At this point I was determined to get the heart to work, so I cut it one more time at 2.75" and this time used my heat gun.  As soon as the upper ends came towards each other, I used the heat gun to blow the heat and push it back down.  It worked!!!  I then took the heat gun to the other's that had melted to each other, and was able to un-melt them back into a heart. 

As you can see in the photos, they are not perfect and have lumps and even a hole from where I broke one when it was stuck together. 

Believe me they need some work, especially the second they are done, you need to press them down to make them more straight.  I have tried paper, and a bottom of a glass but they still have some lumps.

I will just keep practicing and hopefully get better really quickly.

Check out this sped up clip of the first batch in the oven.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment